Thursday, August 26, 2010

Green Smoothies!!!



Hi guys! Here is short article from Robyn Openshaw - aka Green Smoothie Girl-maybe you have

heard of her?? :) I have just recently found her and she has loads of knowledge to share!

Juicing, smoothies etc are a great way to get a ton of nutrients and to help your body detox all the junk out of it! so read up!

Green Smoothies

by Robyn Openshaw, The Green Smoothie Girl

Hello friends,

In my effort to teach people how to convert to a whole-foods, 60-80% raw, mostly plant-based diet, I've found one habit that I consider to be the highest and best use of your kitchen time.

Making a blenderful of green smoothie takes only 10 minutes a day. I recommend doing it first thing in the morning, before the day gets away from you. Then put it in quart or pint jars in the fridge. Take your quart (my daily recommendation) and a straw to work with you, or running errands.

A 96-oz. blenderful makes a quart for me, and a pint for each of my four children. That's 15 servings of greens and fruit for me, and 7.5 servings for them. Wow!

I prefer drinking my green smoothie at lunch because that's the meal people typically have no time to prepare. Consequently, it's the meal where we are most likely to eat "fast food" that lacks nutrition and fiber. The foods most Americans eat cause a big energy drain because the body has to work so hard to manufacture enzymes and break down heavy processed foods and animal proteins.

Even if you want something not particularly good for you at lunch, if you've filled your stomach up FIRST with high-nutrition greens and fruit (400 calories in a quart), you'll eat less of the inferior foods. And your blended greens provide external enzymes to break down other food.

Furthermore, you're going to see a stabilization of your energy and mood in the late afternoon. That's when many working people find that they need their productivity most - right as it fails them! Many turn to caffeine or other stimulants just to get through the day.

If your lunch nutrition includes large amounts of the highest-micronutrient foods on earth (greens), you will likely achieve radically improved energy. That may happen immediately. Or it may happen after giving the "cleansing reactions" a chance to subside, if you're new to green smoothies. (Eighteen percent of the 175 people in my study experienced temporary reactions such as headache or diarrhea. That's normal as your body recognizes excellent building materials coming in, and uses that opportunity to "clean house.")

In my research, 95.4% said green smoothies noticeably improved their health or quality of life! 84 percent were so excited, they taught others the habit! And the top benefits reported were more energy (85%), improved digestion (80%), fewer cravings for sweets and processed foods (65%), and weight loss (50%, with an average loss of 18 lbs.).

Search "green smoothie" on YouTube and see the phenomenon of well over 1,000 demos there--it's a hot topic! Mine is the top-viewed demo, and it takes only 3 minutes to watch.

To Your Health!

Robyn Openshaw

Robyn's Green Smoothie Template

Yield: 3 quarts

Ingredients:

  • 2 ¾ cup water and ice
  • ¼ cup raw, organic stevia ( from the plant- not drops etc.. you can use those but keep in mind they are also highly processed)
  • Greens
  • Fruit

Directions:

Add water, ice and stevia to blender.

Add greens and blend until smooth up to the 6-cup mark in the blender (VitaMix or BlendTec are best).

Greens can be spinach, collards, kale, chard, greens from turnips/beets, weeds like dandelion or purslane, or lettuces.

Add fruit and blend up to 9+ cups.

Fruit can be anything, though my favorites are 1-2 bananas, 2+ cups frozen mixed berries, and then whatever fruit I have on hand.

You can find more info about her book and recipes at GreenSmoothieGirl.com or check out her blog for lots of great info here

1 comment:

  1. Hey I love green smoothies and have found great results incoporating them into my diet. I am Stephanie Gines. I went to Fremont and was a little younger than you. Brenda Opheikens Heslop is my stepmom also. So she was telling me about the whole foods classes you do and foot zoning. I love all this great alternative stuff and am now using Doterra Essential Oils and doing classes to educate people on the benefits. My friend is the man who formulates some of their products and I have met with there corporate people. The company is really amazing!! Wondering if you have any interest in learning more about there product and business as someone who has great knowledge about oils already? Let me know. fwagines@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete