That garlic has health benefits is nothing new. Since at least 1500 BC, healers in China and India have used the odiferous bulb as a blood thinner. Hippocrates, the father of modern medicine, used it to treat cervical cancer. Louis Pasteur reported on garlic's antibacterial and antifungal powers, which inspired Albert Schweitzer to use it against dysentery in Africa.
* A bulb of garlic, Allium Sativum L., has from four to 16 or more cloves, depending on variety. In each of these cloves are cells containing the main compound of garlic, an amino acid called Allicin. Allicin from crushed raw garlic is a very strong antibiotic that kills MRSA staph on contact and staph cannot become immune to it because it kills bacteria by causing their cells to swell and burst rather than blocking chemical receptors like pharmaceutical antibiotics do. One study (Walton, Herbold&Lendegren 1936-1938 - Journal of Food Science) even showed that the vapors alone from nearby crushed raw garlic could kill bacteria up to eight inches away in four hours.
* Garlic that has been irradiated has no fat-soluble healthy compounds. Unfortunately, most garlic in American supermarkets comes from China and some of it has been irradiated and will have little benefits- so buy LOCAL....
* Cut a little bit of the clove ( really small piece is strong enough) and put it in your water and sip on it all day long- it will help kill anuy virus or bacteria in your body
* Another way to use garlic on a stuffy nose, sore throat and infection that has gone into the lungs is to crush the small end of a clove and use it like a Vick's inhaler so you breathe the fumes through your nostrils. This will help clear the passages as well as fight the germs. Eating garlic is not enough, it has to get to the site of the infection as directly as possible and breathing it in takes it all the way into the lungs. Another way to do the same thing is to crush the garlic and wrap gauze, cheesecloth or thin fabric around it and breathe through the gauze to get the vapors into the lungs.
* a drop of garlic oil in the ear ( make sure it is not perforated) will help tremendously with ear infections ( I recommend Dr. christophers brand)
* Garlic can interfere with prescription medications, particularly anti-clotting agents, resulting in increased dosages, so if you have special precautions talk to your Dr. first...
With all this sickness and flu going around I thought I would start out with a Doozy! Garlic is awesome and works so well!!! it is also great for the heart, digestive system, blood sugar, removes metal from body the list could go on and on. Here is a link to some one who knows ALOT about garlic http://www.gourmetgarlicgardens.com/. check it out
if you don't have time to look at it all- it is alot of info- look at the uses in emergency cases- very good to know!!!